Friday, August 28, 2015

The Writing of Two Worlds

I am a short story writer. Well, that's what I tell others for now. I have written two short stories that have been published in really neat Anthologies by Xchyler Publishing (xchylerpublishing.com). 
The first, Stunner, was published in A Dash of Madness: A Thriller Anthology. It was quite a journey for me, having to re-write the entire setting. I learned a lot, cried a lot, and ate chocolate... a lot! But after all the blood, sweat, and tears, the story came out better because of it. I have had people contact me asking me when the next Stunner story will come out. I know, I know, it's on my "To Do" list.
The next story came from my own adventures in Ireland. I fell in love with that country and had to write a tale. That's how Faelad came about, which appears in Legends & Lore: An Anthology of Mythic proportions. Faelad is the re-telling of two Irish myths - The Morrigan and the warrior Cuchlainn. It was a fun write, bringing mythology to life.
 After the second story was published, my husband announced, "I'm so proud of you, but you can't write any more short stories. You need to write your novel now."

I knew he was right. I have had a story swimming around my brain since high school (and I won't mention how long I've been out of school). It was time to sit down and really work on my first novel. However, like many authors, my brain is full of ideas and characters and before long, I was side tracked onto another story. This was a complete change from the YA I was working on. I created a story board, did all the research and was well on my way to writing a Historical Fiction.

Then life has a way of getting in the way and the summer took over. We moved, went on vacation and sent off a kid to the "real world." 

Now that things are settling down, the only story occupying my mind is back to the YA Paranormal one. I have now realized some important flaws to the original plot line and the characters have been coming alive again in my brain. I can't stop thinking about it. But the other story was well on it's way also. What do I do?? Conflict filled my being as I went to the computer to write. I need to finish something, anything. To complete my goals as an author. I can't jump back and forth between stories... or can I?

After consulting, once again, with the most patient husband in the world, he reassured me. I can write what I want, when I want. There aren't any rules dictating how I get the end result, as long as I get there! So if one story is alive, go with it. If it stalls a bit, set it aside and jump into the other world for some time. Every writer has to go on their own journey. What leads me one way won't be the same for other authors and that's okay. In fact, it's vital to be alone in the journey. If we all ended up in the same spot, we'd have some pretty boring books out there! Another author, Ben Ireland, recently posted "Writing a novel is lonely work, at least for someone relatively small time like me. But even alone, it is still so exciting to create a world, and then systematically kick it's ass..."

I am embracing the two stories I'm working on and loving them as different but equal loves. Like children, they are unique, with personality and challenges. I will focus on whichever one needs attention at the moment and eventually, I will get to that finish line, but only on my terms. 

Happy writing to all of my fellow authors out there! The writing is the FUN part!! 
Follow me! Facebook: Author Sarah Hunter Hyatt and Twitter: @shhyatt


No comments:

Post a Comment